Rome Journal

Andrew moves to Italy. Hilarity ensues.

Monday, September 12, 2005

our animal friends, part 2


I have to say that on the whole—with one big exception—I’m pretty impressed by Roman dogs. Let’s get that exception out of the way, first: I’m of course referring to those big steaming piles of exceptions that litter the streets of my neighborhood. Pooper scoopers haven’t caught on, I’m afraid; it’s the rare dog owner you see following his pooch around, plastic bag in hand. They do exist: more common than Bigfoot (if not by much); seeing one is a National Geographic-worthy occurence.

Leaving that aside, though, dogs you see in Rome mostly seem to be a well-behaved bunch. Lots of them are off-leash, and it’s rarely a problem: they pad along in front of their master, sniffing at the occasional tree, but mostly heading in a straight line to wherever they’re going. They’re pretty much all business: I mean, I’m not in the habit of dangling pork chops in front of dogs’ noses, but as far as I can tell, it’s hard to distract them. For the dogs, it's all about getting the job of doggitude done, and to that I say: kudos!

I took this photo a few weeks back, in front of one of the bakeries near my house. I’d gone in to get a little snack, and when I came out, saw this pack of dachshunds parked outside, leashed to a ring in the wall. Also a couple of boys playing with them; I thought it was cute, and snapped a few photos, as the kids mugged for the camera. It was only after I got home that I realized that they weren’t hugging the dogs; they were sort of, um, strangling them… Still, I’ve seen both the dogs and the boys since them, so everybody seems to have survived okay.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew and I saw the boys this weekend at a cafe when I was getting my afternoon caffeine fix. They were with their papa, and getting a sweet frozen treat. They couldn't decide which flavor they wanted though. The barmaid suggested "frutti di bosco" while their dad suggested "fragola." They went back and forth with each other, trying to decide which to get and ultimately settled on getting one of each.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home