Rome Journal

Andrew moves to Italy. Hilarity ensues.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

if Rome's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin'

There was a small earthquake (magnitude 4.5) yesterday afternoon, with its epicenter near Anzio, around 30 miles south of Rome. I wish I could say that I noticed it, but I just found out about it on the news this morning. Though evidently I stood up and looked out the window then (I thought it was to check whether it had started raining), and last night I had a dream about earthquakes, so maybe I picked up on it in some sort of spoooooky subconscious way.

Anyway, here's an article about the quake, with a potted history of the earthquakes in Roman history (executive summary: gods angry, things fall down.) It duly mentions the Lacus Curtius, a strange monument in the Roman Forum, which just maybe got its name from an earthquake-related incident, way back in hoary antiquity...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in

and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via

email?


Granita Machine

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home