Rome Journal

Andrew moves to Italy. Hilarity ensues.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

ara of not so pacis

I mentioned, in yesterday's post about 'Gusto, the new museum designed by Richard Meier to house the Ara Pacis (the Altar of Peace, dedicated by Augustus) that is going up right next door to the Mausoleum of Augustus. I was just sent a link to this photo essay about the new museum, with some mock-ups of what the completed structure will look like. I don't have a whole lot to say about it, just two things.

First, the photos are carefully staged to steer around one of the most controversial aspects of the project, which is that it doesn't take its setting into account at all: it's sort of plopped down as if the mausoleum and piazza weren't there. In a way, that seems appropriate to me: after all, the altar was originally located elsewhere, and was moved to its current spot by Mussolini. So I don't know if I buy the arguments that have been made about the structure "damaging the urban fabric", et cetera.

And second, what the heck is that column doing, standing by itself at the top of the stairs? I may not know much about architecture, but I know what looks weird. And that? Looks weird.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like an old Atari joystick to me. Maybe the museum opening will coincide with the release of a new video game. Grand Theft Auto: Augustan Rome!

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it looks like an Atari joystick...but you should see the "classical" fountain being installed right outside my office window!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

You know, I think you're right; it does look like an Atari joystick. I like the image of the ghost of Augustus playing a giant game of Missile Command in the afterlife...

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I probably missed something here.

How long is your stay in Rome?

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Andrew,

In considering all the people I know who are blogging right now, I am choosing you for this for the reasons stated at the end of that blog entry.

: D

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello. i am an architecture student studying the ara pacis museum by meier actually. i ran across your blog and just wanted to leave a quick comment. you might have already been informed (it has been almost four years since you posted on this blog) that the big column does have a function and significance. haha. the original site of the altar had columns circling around it and the distance from the altar to the big random column that is in place now is the same as the original site. also, the column doubles as a sundial and the shadow cast by the column reads like the shadow of a sundial.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home