Rome Journal

Andrew moves to Italy. Hilarity ensues.

Monday, August 01, 2005

un giardino romano


Just after midnight, I was awoken from my jet-lagged slumber by a series of explosions. I was sure for a moment that Al Quaeda had chosen its moment to strike Rome (though in the light of day I realized: really, terrorists hitting Monteverde? Unlikely). Probably it was just fireworks- SUPER LOUD Italian-style fireworks- though it sounded like world war three out there.

That set me back, sleep-wise, so I missed breakfast. No worries, though; I took a couple of peaches and a roll and sat out in the garden. The Centro's garden is lovely: there's a fountain against one wall (pictured) with a little statue, koi and a couple of shy turtles, and another, circular fountain with more koi. Both are artfully covered with moss, and the bigger fountain has sprays of water that cut through the summer heat.

I'd forgotten just how many fountains there are in Rome: the big ones, of course, like the Trevi or our nearby big monument-style fountain, the Acqua Paola on the Gianicolo. But then there are all the little fountains that appear when you turn a corner, or (best of all) the municipal drinking fountains that are scattered here and there: you gotta love those Romans and their aqueducts!

Our garden also has a couple of lime trees (the fruits aren't so nice, but I think they're out of season), lots of shade and a little grill. A lovely retreat from the burning Roman summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home