Rome Journal

Andrew moves to Italy. Hilarity ensues.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

visa blues

I've always said that it's nice, every once in a while, to have your stereotypes confirmed; it makes you not feel like such an ass for having them.

In this case, the stereotypes are about consular officials and Italian bureaucrats. I tried to get my visa for Italy today: according to the Italian embassy website and the Centro, I needed a research visa. The reaction I got at the consulate, maybe not surprisingly, was lodged somewhere between disbelief and contempt: research visa? No such thing; you need a student visa, and I'm sure you don't have the right materials anyway.

Well, I did have the right materials (including a note from the Centro in Italian, which seemed to impress her a little). But she parried by refusing to accept them: too early! Come back in June.

Feh. Two hours out of my life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home