Rome Journal

Andrew moves to Italy. Hilarity ensues.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

tunisian high plains drifter

I spent two nights in Le Kef and really enjoyed it. It's a small- to medium-sized town with a great location, about an hour away from a good half-dozen sites, including Dougga and Bulla Regia. There's not all that much to do there, and so it's pretty empty of tourists, just a relaxed, laid-back kind of place.

Le Kef is on a ridge that overlooks the high plains of the northwest. When the sun goes down, it gets all purty and stuff: here are some photos I took then.

It's a very steep walk up to the casbah:



The main mosque in the old part of town. The piazza in front has a nice cafe and as you can tell from all the people, is a pleasant place to hang out in the evenings:



These kids were playing soccer, but when they saw me taking pictures, they switched immediately to showing off their ninja moves. A dangerous bunch:



The mosque at sunset. You can see the fields in the background; this part of Tunisia has been the breadbasket of the country since Punic times, growing grain and all kinds of fruits and vegetables. (When I was there, watermelons were in season, and everywhere I went, there were huge piles of melons for sale. They looked really good, but I was backpacking; what was I going to do with a watermelon?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home